Monday, February 21, 2011

'Ordinary Days' at the Trafalgar Studios

It's nice to try something you know nothing about and be pleasantly surprised.

There is a style of American off Broadway musical sound that seems to revolve around a heavy use of complex conversational lyrics, an arrangement that is aimed at a piano and a small number of strings and a complete inability to add a hummable tune. That isn't to say these shows are unenjoyable but they're never going to worry a Porter or Berlin at the box office.

As 'Ordinary Days' started, my normal sunny optimism slipped slightly as I realised we were into that territory. We even had a moderately irritating gay character to open the evening. However the nifty, slight, emotional story had heart and by the time we hit 'I'll Be Here' the show had turned me round and I was genuinely moved.

Julie Atherton - who I must have seen in 'Avenue Q' a couple of years ago - was quite brilliant in the role of Claire and, although the role of Jason seemed the most underwritten of the characters, Daniel Boys was doing his very best kicked puppy. Alexia Khadime is obviously someone to watch and Lee William Davies completed the quartet strongly. All must be commended for heartfelt performances but it was the neat intricacy of the show itself that I think won me over.

Sung through, simple and sentimental, it nevertheless had a satisfying emotional complexity. Now, if only we could get that killer melody too.

Bill Count: 1


No comments: